Classical Music and Social Media, can the two go together?




I'm a classical violinist and was trained in a world before social media was anything more than a place to share your recent holiday snaps.  But over the past few years social media has grown and evolved and could be considered the life-blood of modern music.  But where do we the niche areas of the industry fit in?  I see many of my contemporaries shy away from social media whilst mainstream music embraces it.  Can it be of benefit to classical music?



Speaking as someone who finds it hard to turn a computer on, I've always been drawn to the past.  I went for an entire year without a mobile phone and that was the best year of my life.  But I have had a year off from touring and during this year I've made a pledge to myself to throw myself whole heatedly into digital outputs of music, and the results?......I feel that for the first time in a long while I'm creating.  I can play violin concerti and successfully recreate the emotions of dead composers, but through social media I can create, not recreate.  It's taking a lot of work learning new skills.  Instead of turning up to a professional recording studio, I'm learning to record myself and multi-track.  Instead of professional photo shoots I'm learning to use a camera and film artwork to accompany my music.  Because the one thing about social media is, it is fast paced and constantly moving - a skill that we weren't taught at the conservatoire.  Where classical traditions involve patience, diplomacy, determination, social media involves speed, wit, inventiveness and I can see why the two don't mesh.  But imagine having all of these skills!  Perhaps classical music can incorporate modern skills into it's traditions and still uphold standards.  Only then can we say that this generation had a lasting impact on the art form.



Follow the link below to see my first dalliance into an ever evolving online world.  WARNING this video features pop music xx


Hannah Woolmer YouTube video

Comments

Popular Posts